WELCOME TO RECEPTION
OUR LEARNING JOURNEY
Our SPRING learning journey is ‘ We’re going on a bear hunt’
We will be posting weekly information on what your child is learning via Class Dojo, plus photos of our early year’s environments and ways you can support your child’s learning at home. You can also respond and message teachers through Class Dojo if you need clarification of school information or homework. Make sure you keep abreast of notifications when sent.
PPA COVER SPRING 2022
On Wednesdays, Reception class teachers have Planning, Preparation and Assessment time. Ms Burfield will teach Cherry class in the morning, and Apple class in the afternoon.
Learning at Home
Every week your child will read 1:1 with a teacher. We will help them to change their home reading book which is levelled appropriately for them. Please read with your child as often as you can at home. The Oxford Reading Owl site has access to free e-books each with their own activities to help develop reading comprehension. All you have to do is sign up and log-in!
The children have daily phonics lessons, as well as lots of fun activities in the learning environment to help them apply their learning. There are lots of fun ways you can help your child at home with phonics! Here are some ideas:
- Encourage your child to hear the initial sounds in words through games such as ‘I Spy’.
- Can you go on a sound hunt around the house, for example finding lots of objects that start with the sound ‘s’?
- Can you learn the Jolly Phonics songs and actions for each of the sounds by visiting this link?
There are lots of fun opportunities for children to practise mark-making and writing in the learning environment. There are lots of fun ways you can help your child at home with writing! Here are some ideas:
- Can you make letters out of playdough or draw them in shaving foam or sand?
- Can you help your child to draw/ write birthday cards for friends?
- Can you set up a pretend shop at home, and have fun writing shopping lists and price tags?
There are lots of fun opportunities for children to learn about maths in the learning environment. There are lots of fun ways you can help your child at home with maths! Here are some ideas:
- Practice counting up to 10 objects. e.g. counting steps, jumps, teddies, pairs of socks that come out the wash.
- Help your child to spot and recognise numbers everywhere e.g. on house doors, clocks, car registration plates, buses.
- Play games with dice/dominoes – encourage your child to spot number patterns (e.g. knowing what the number is on a dice without needing to count the dots)
- Can you help your child work out what is one more or one less than a given number? Lots of counting rhymes help with this, such as ‘Five Little Speckled Frogs’.
- Can you go on a shape hunt, spotting 2D and 3D shapes all around you? For example, house windows, books, car wheels.
- Can you bake at home, and enjoy weighing out different amounts of ingredients?
Apple Tree Class
Teacher: Mrs Prichard
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Flippance and Mrs Bowen
Cherry Tree Class
Teachers: Mrs Souttar, Mrs Hutchinson & Ms Burfield (from January)
Teaching Assistant: Miss Barnes
Please ensure that you have your student log-in for class dojo. In the event of self-isolating or an entire bubble’s isolation it is the expectation that pupils will continue to complete work at home to minimise the impact of COVID and loss of learning. (If you do not have your log-in please contact the school office).
Apple and Cherry class will have PE on a WEDNESDAY.
For now, children will not need a PE kit, and will be doing PE in their school uniform.