WELCOME TO RECEPTION
OUR LEARNING JOURNEY
Our Spring learning journey is ‘We’re going on a bear hunt’
We will be posting weekly information on what your child is learning via Class Dojo, plus photos of our early year’s environments and ways you can support your child’s learning at home. You can also respond and message teachers through the school office if you need clarification of school information or homework. Make sure you keep abreast of notifications when sent.
PPA COVER Spring TERM 2024
Reception class teachers have Planning, Preparation and Assessment time. Miss Burfield and Mrs Souttar will share the teaching of Cherry Class on Wed mornings and they will also share the teaching of Apple Class on Wed afternoons. This is so that Reception teachers can plan high quality teaching lessons and learning resources for the week ahead.
Learning at Home
Every week your child will read 1:1 with their teacher. They will bring home the Sounds Write book they have been reading with their teacher as homework. Additionally your child will be given a ‘family reader’. It will have a label on that says ‘Please read this to me’. This story book is for you to read to your child and share at bedtime.
The children have daily phonic SOUNDS WRITE lessons, as well as lots of activities in the learning environment to help them apply their learning. There are lots of fun ways you can help your child at home with phonics! Here are some ideas:
- Encourage your child to hear the initial sounds in words through games such as ‘I Spy’.
- Can you go on a sound hunt around the house, for example finding lots of objects that start with the sound ‘s’?
- Sounds Write HOMEWORK comes home once a fortnight. This homework encourages your child to blend and segment sounds to read and write independently. You can even ‘time’ your child, over the school year, to watch their fluency improve!
There are lots of opportunities for children to practise mark-making and writing in the learning environment. There are lots of ways you can help your child at home with writing! Here are some ideas:
- Can you make letters out of playdough or draw them in shaving foam or sand?
- Can you help your child to draw/ write birthday cards for friends?
- Can you set up a pretend shop at home, and have fun writing shopping lists and price tags?
There are lots of opportunities for children to learn about maths in the learning environment. There are lots of ways you can help your child at home with maths! Here are some ideas:
- Practice counting up to 10 objects. e.g. counting steps, jumps, teddies, pairs of socks that come out the wash.
- Help your child to spot and recognise numbers everywhere e.g. on house doors, clocks, car registration plates, buses.
- Play games with dice/dominoes – encourage your child to spot number patterns (e.g. knowing what the number is on a dice without needing to count the dots)
- Can you help your child work out what is one more or one less than a given number? Lots of counting rhymes help with this, such as ‘Five Little Speckled Frogs’.
- Can you go on a shape hunt, spotting 2D and 3D shapes all around you? For example, house windows, books, car wheels.
- Can you bake at home, and enjoy weighing out different amounts of ingredients?
Apple Tree Class
Teacher: Mrs Prichard
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Bowen
Cherry Tree Class
Teachers: Miss Burfield and Mrs Souttar
Teaching Assistant: Miss Barnes
Please ensure that you have your student log-in for class dojo. (If you do not have your log-in please contact the school office). Class Dojo is a great way to keep abreast of all that is going on in your child’s class. You can also message your child’s teacher on Class Dojo.
Apple and Cherry class will have PE on a WEDNESDAY.
Children will need to come to school in their PE kits on this day ( white t shirt and white shorts). PE kits can be purchased from the school office as can the green PE bags. For those children who forget to come in kit – we have spare kits available and will change them in the hall. Many thanks for your continued support.